Saturday, January 22, 2011

Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise



It’s not unusual to get lost in music, and certainly not when listening to Nicolas Jaar. He somewhat embodies where I see Patrick Watson sitting in five years if someone gave him Space Is Only Noise. It’s the music I’ve been secretly yearning for years.

I had listened to several EP’s and singles before this album, my long-standing favourite track being this Love Potion #9 edit, but I was always looking forward to his first full length, my most anticipated electronic album of this year.



Space Is Only Noise delivers a journey through a good collection of Nico’s original tracks, broken up by a stripped down Ray Charles classic. Samples, loops, random sounds, children laughing, sublime piano, sax, synth and well delivered beats permute as you pass through the fourteen tracks. No one is dancing to this stuff, it's made to sit back.

Nico lives in Rhode Island; born in NY before he escaped to Chile, he was back in the US when he started recording. He owns his own label, Clown and Sunset, and also has releases on the excellent Wolf + Lamb. I’m going to guess that he loves the French language.

Clown and Sunset, February 14, 2011

MP3: Nicolas Jaar - I Got a Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment